Fantastic Chocolate Pear Cake
Funny story, we made this Pear Chocolate Cake for the first time just a few days before it appeared on the cover of Bake from Scratch magazine. Our pictures were so similar for a second we thought they published our photo. But that was just a coincidence proving that great minds think alike =) We’ve never compared the recipes but can tell you that our version is excellent. This dessert is a pure chocolate delight with tender pears inside.
- water - 3 cups
- cognac - 1/2 cup (optional)
- sugar - 2 cups
- vanilla pot - 1, cut in half and scraped
- Bosc pears - 3, peeled
- all purpose flour - 1 cup
- cacao - 2 tablespoons
- sugar - 1 cup
- salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- baking soda - 1 teaspoon
- baking powder - 1 teaspoon
- buttermilk or kefir - 1 cup
- large egg - 1
- vegetable oil - 2 tablespoon
- baking spray
- warm chocolate syrup for serving (optional)
- In a medium pot combine the water, sugar, cognac and vanilla pod. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the pears to a simmering syrup. Cook for 40-50 minutes, until pears are soft.
- Remove the pears from the syrup, drain and cool completely.
- In a medium bowl mix the flour, cocoa, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In another bowl combine buttermilk, egg, and vegetable oil. Whisk until well mixed.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the bowl with the flour. Stir with a whisk until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Spray a 9 x 5 Inch loaf pan with baking spray. Pour the batter into the pan and arrange the pears bottom side down in line.
- Bake for 60 minutes.
- Allow to sit for 25 minutes on a cooling rack before removing the cake from pan.
My name is Anna, and I'm always madly busy in the kitchen. I cook, invent new recipes, style and photograph my food. All the recipes that you will find on DivineCuisine are written, cooked and photographed by me. I sincerely hope that each of you visiting this site can find something new, useful and interesting!