Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Avocado Dip
Everybody knows that moving to a new place is always stressful. But for me it was not just a stressful event, it was almost a tragedy (fortunately only for the first two days). Our landlords, nice and sweet people, by the way, decided to sell the condo we were renting, and we had two months to find a new home for us. I freaked out and decided to find a new place before the Thanksgiving and all the holiday season madness. The thing is I loved my old apartment so much that I thought we would never find a place as good as that one. Everything was perfect there: the pool, the price, the location, not to mention that our neighbors became our best friends. So I wanted to take my time and choose the best market could offer. I was so busy with all the searching and packing, and moving that I had no time for cooking and blogging. Actually, I think the nearby restaurants made a decent money on our everyday takeouts. Long story short, one month and 25 boxes later we are finally settled in a wonderful 2 bedroom condo in the heart of lovely Menlo Park. And I am peaceful, happy and ready to start blogging again.
After almost three weeks of takeouts and junk food my husband and I decided to watch our diet and eat healthy. That is not easy I need to say, you know old habits die hard. But anyway, we are doing pretty good. MyFitnessPal app helps a lot. Now my motto is – New healthy habits in a new sunny apartment!
From December 1st Sasha and I try to eat healthy, cut alcohol and count our daily calories. So, today I came up with this Sweet Potato Fries snack idea, which he loved very much. The best part is this avocado sauce, which in my opinion is absolutely delicious. Just try it folks and tell me what you think!
- sweet potatoes - 3 medium, washed
- olive oil - 1/2 tablespoon
- sugar - 1/2 teaspoon
- paprika - 1 teaspoon
- chili powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- lemon zest - 1 teaspoon
- sea salt - 1 teaspoon
- garlic powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- ripe avocado - 1, peeled and cut into wedges
- lemon juice - 1 teaspoon or to taste
- grape seed, or olive oil - 1/6 cup
- parsley - 3 tablespoons, chopped
- grated parmesan - 1/4 cup
- chili powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- salt - to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Cut the potatoes into slim french fry shaped pieces. Try to cut them into even.
- In a small bowl mix sugar, paprika, chili powder, sea salt and garlic powder.
- Lay the fries in a single layer on a baking sheet, drizzle olive oil all over and season with the spice mix.
- Bake for 10 minutes then gently flip with a spatula to cook evenly and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Turn the oven to broil and cook for 2 more minutes until crisp and golden brown. Be careful your fries might burn very fast. Arrange the fries on a platter.
- Meanwhile make the Avocado Dip. Place all the remaining ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer the dip to a serving bowl.