Best Grilled Chicken Pita Pockets
For our family summer is, first of all, is about grilling. My husband is incredibly passionate about cooking food outdoors, and not so much about cooking at home 🙂 So when I have a chance to make him cook, I take it without asking. I’ve noticed that there is definitely something about guys and grilling. Somehow it fascinates them more than any other food related activity. My thoughts are the combination of fire, sharp metal objects, and a chance to spend time drinking beer with other buddies, make this activity especially attractive to them. They get together and rule on “their territory” like ancient men before them.
While my husband is having fun playing with fire and his grilling tools outside, I actually need to do the heavy lifting. That includes planning the menu, buying groceries, doing preps, and create recipes. And the best is I love doing all that. Because for me its chance to express my creativity and experiment with different ingredients and flavors. It feels incredibly good to choose the spices, measure and mix them to make the right combination that will bring the whole dish together. That’s my playtime for sure.
My Grilled Chicken Pita Pockets recipe is a perfect example of my passion for spices. To marinate the chicken I used a blend of six spices, olive oil, lime juice and new Frontier Co-op Sea Salt Grind. Let me tell you guys; this dish will knock your socks off! Lightly grilled pita stuffed with flavorful pieces of chicken, crispy lettuce and spicy jalapeno is a pure joy. Add the yogurt-garlic sauce, and you’ll get an ultimate summer dish that everyone will love!
Please share your favorite Summer Grilling dishes with me. I’m always looking for an inspiration for my cooking adventures!
- For the grilled chicken:
- boneless, skinless chicken thighs - 1 1/2 lb.
- big red onion - 1, roughly sliced
- olive oil - 1/3 cup
- lime juice - 3 tablespoons
- Frontier Co-Op Sea Salt Table Grind - 2 teaspoons
- smoked paprika - 1 teaspoon
- cumin - 1/2 teaspoon
- turmeric - 1/2 teaspoons
- freshly ground black pepper - 1/2 teaspoon
- chili powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- cinnamon - 1/4 teaspoon
- For the yogurt sauce:
- unflavored yogurt - 8 oz.
- Frontier Co-Op Sea Salt Table Grind - 1 teaspoon or to taste
- garlic - 1 clove, minced
- romain lettuce - 2 cups, finely chopped
- jalapeno - 1-2, thinly sliced
- cilantro - 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- pita pockets - 6, halved
- Rinse the chicken breast and pat dry.
- In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, lemon juice and the spices.
- Pour the mixture into a large resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken and roughly sliced onion; seal bag and shake well to coat.
- Allow the chicken to marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature, or at least for 3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat a grill to medium heat.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill the chicken and the onion until soft and cooked trough about 8-10 minutes
- Slice the chicken into thin pieces.
- In a small bowl mix the yogurt and minced garlic. Season to taste with Frontier Co-op Sea Salt Table Grind.
- Place the pita halves on the grill for about 2 minutes per side.
- Fill each pita half with chicken, chopped Romain lettuce, jalapeno, and cilantro. Top with yogurt sauce.