I absolutely love simple dinner recipes. It’s very cool when you can cook something really good in just 40 minutes. Especially when it’s a bowl of steamy pasta with some lovely sauce. If you’re like me – this recipe is what you’re looking for. This Chicken Bolognese is my lighter version of classic pasta. Not exactly traditional recipe, but it’s very delicious and a bit healthier. Chunky rigatoni pasta is great for catching the lovely flavors of the hearty chicken sauce. Perfect dish for lazy evening at home along with some good show on Netflix and a glass of Pinot Noir.
TIP: If you’ll use this Homemade Marinara Sauce it will elevate your dish to a whole new level!
- olive oil - 2 tablespoons
- medium red onion - 1, finely chopped
- ground chicken - 1 lb.
- garlic - 2-3 cloves, minced
- medium bell pepper - 1, finely chopped
- homemade or store-bought marinara sauce - 2 cups
- salt - to taste
- freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- chili flakes - 1/2 teaspoon, or to taste
- rigatoni - 1 lb.
- fresh basil leaves - 1 cup, chopped
- grated Parmesan - 1/2 cup, for serving
- Heat a large saute pan over high heat. Add the olive oil and heat.
- Add the ground chicken and cook until well browned, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Then add the onion, bell pepper, and chili flakes and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the marinara sauce, cover the skillet with the lid and simmer until a thick sauce consistency, about 20 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Cook the penne in boiling, salted water until al dente. Drain the pasta and set aside. Reserve about 1/4 cup of pasta water.
- Add the drained pasta to the sauce along with the Parmesan and toss well.
- Add a few tablespoons of the pasta cooking water to the sauce if needed.
- Serve in a large bowl garnished with basil leaves.