Cuban-Style Chicken Stew
This absolutely amazing recipe I’ve found in the March issue of Savuer Magazine. OMG, this chicken is so good! It has a perfect combination of different flavors which create a very bright and remarkable dish. I’ve made some changes in the ingredients, but you know, I do this with every recipe.
After I’ve tasted my home cooked Cuban-style chicken, I’ve started dreaming about travel to Havana someday, and stay there at least for a week. I definitely know what I would do there, will drink cocktails, eat delicious food and learn how to dance. It’s funny, what such a nice dream popped up in my mind after just one bowl of hearty chicken stew. So try to cook this dish dear fellows, it definitely worth the efforts!
- fresh lime juice - 1/4 cup
- orange juice - 1/4 cup
- garlic - 2-3 cloves, minced
- chicken - 4 lb. quartered (backbone discard)
- salt - to taste
- freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- olive oil - 1/3 cup
- large red bell pepper - 1, roughly chopped
- small jalapeno - 1, roughly chopped
- large shallot - 1, quartered
- dry white wine - 1 cup
- small potatoes - 1 lb., peeled and quarteed
- kalamata olives - 1/3 cup
- capers - 1/4 cup
- raisins - 1/4 cup
- tomato sauce - 8 oz
- chicken stock - 1/2 cup
- smocked paprika - 1 1/2 teaspoons
- frozen peas - 1 cup, defrosted
- parsley - 1/3 cup, finely chopped
- In a big bowl mix lime and orange juices, garlic, and chicken. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Heat olive oil in a big cast iron saucepan. Remove chicken from the marinade; pat dry with a paper towel; reserve the marinade. Cook chicken, flipping once until golden brown.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate. At the same pan cook onion and peppers until soft, about 7 minutes. Add wine and deglaze the pan. Simmer until reduced by half.
- Transfer the chicken to a pan and add reserved marinade, olives, capers, potatoes, raisins, tomato sauce, smoked paprika and.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook covered until chicken and potatoes are tender. Season to taste, stir in peas and chopped parsley.