Flourless Raspberry Cake with Homemade Cheese
This Flourless Raspberry Cake with Homemade Cheese is a tribute to my mother, who is my favorite cook in the whole world! I don’t usually cook a lot of Ukrainian dishes, probably because they are too familiar to me, and because I’m in a constant search of something completely new and challenging.
However, this cake is as Ukrainian as it can get, because it requires one particular ingredient – tvorog. Tvorog is a type of fresh farmers cheese, common in Eastern Europe; it’s extremely popular in Ukraine. You can easily make it at home, it requires only two ingredients and not a lot of efforts, or just buy it in any Russian store.
- tvorog 9% fat - 1 1/2 lb.
- sugar - 3/4 cup
- salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- large eggs - 3
- semolina - 2 tablespoons
- vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
- lemon juice - 1 tablespoon
- lemon zest - 1 tablespoon
- raspberries - 1 1/2 cup
- powdered sugar for serving
- Butter a 8″ Round Springform mold or a deep pie pan.
- In a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment whip the egg whites until stiff picks.
- In a medium bowl whisk the yolks with the sugar and vanilla extract until pale.
- Process the tvorog in a food processor until creamy and smooth.
- In a medium bowl mix tvorog, yolk mixture, salt, lemon juice, lemon zest, and semolina.
- Carefully fold in the half of egg whites. Stir very gently with the spatula. Repeat with the rest of the whites.
- Add the raspberries into the battery, mix gently.
- Carefully pour the mixture into a pan, smooth evenly.
- Bake for 65-75 minutes, or until the center is set but not cracked.
- When the cake is baked and has cooled for about 20-25 minutes, sprinkle it with powdered sugar and serve.