Perfect Smashed Potato with Zesty Tarragon Dressing
This recipe called Perfect Smashed Potato for a reason; in my humble opinion, it’s one of the best summer side dishes which works great with almost anything cooked on a grill. I’m talking charred veggies, bbq chicken, and beautiful grilled salmon. What makes this dish so perfect, you ask? The answer is simple – this potato is soft and almost creamy inside but has an irresistible crispy golden skin. And the best part is the vibrant tarragon dressing with minced shallot, umami anchovies, and grated lemon zest that gives this simple dish an extra zing. Already drooling? Me too!
Tips & tricks for The Best Smashes Potato
Choose small potato even in size. They will cook more evenly and will be much crispier after broiling.
Brush the potato with canola or grapeseed oil rather than with extra virgin olive oil. Since we will be baking the potato at 450F we need the oil which doesn’t have much flavor but has a high smoking point, such as canola or grapeseed oil. It’s better to save extra virgin olive oil for the dressing.
Do not overcrowd the baking sheet. To get a perfectly crispy skin, don’t overlap the potatoes. For the best result make sure you have about 1/2 inch space between them.
This potato goes absolutely amazing with so many toppings and dressings. For this particular recipe, I chose a zesty mix of fresh tarragon, grated lemon zest, aromatic extra virgin olive oil, and crispy chopped shallot.
But here are a few more Smashed Potato topping ideas:
If you’re planning to make this delicious potato, you might want to find a perfect main dish to go with it. Check out my Georgian Chicken Cooked in Milk and Garlic and Juicy Sous Vide Steak. Enjoy!
- 2 pounds Dutch yellow baby potatoes, washed
- 4 tablespoons canola or grape seed oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 3 anchovies fillets, finely minced
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Place the potato in a large pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes can be easily pierced through with a fork. drain and pat dry the potatoes.
- Cover a large baking sheet with foil and lightly coat it with the 1 table spoon of oil. Evenly spread the potatoes on a baking sheet and lightly smash each one with a bottom of a heavy pot or potato masher. Drizzle them with the remaining 3 tablespoon of oil.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing. In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, minced shallot, chopped tarragon, lemon zest, and anchovies. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Once the potato in ready, transfer it into a serving platter and drizzle with the dressing. Serve right away!
You May Also Like
I wanted to post this Pan-Fried Zucchini with Yogurt Dressing recipe before the 4th of July ...
Today is a National Hummus Day. And I want to celebrate by sharing one of my all-time favorite ...
We've always thought of Hasselback potato as a holiday side dish. Because it looks so festive and ...
Combine carrot and coffee in one dish may sound like a crazy cooking idea, but it tastes unexpect...