Savory Parmesan Oatmeal
Oatmeal is one of the healthiest breakfasts we could name. It’s extremely nutritious and satiating meal, plus it gives an excellent source of energy to move you through the day. Ok, you’ve probably already known that. What you might not know is that oatmeal tastes awesome when you cook it with a pinch of salt and serve with savory toppings.
Most people have never tried savory oatmeal, and they would refuse to try it because it’ seems too unusual. But in reality, it’s incredibly delicious especially when you top it with poached or fried egg, bacon, and chopped chive. We even added a handful of grated parmesan to add this umami flavor. Intrigued? Then wait no longer, it’s savory breakfast time!
- thick bacon - 1 slice, sliced
- small shallot - 1/2, chopped
- water - 1/2 cup
- chicken broth - 1/2 cup
- rolled oats - 1/2 cup
- grated parmesan - 1 - 1 1/2 oz.
- egg - 1, poached or fried
- green onion - 1 tablespoon, chopped
- fried chili oil - 1 teaspoon, or to taste
- In a small sauce pan skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp.
- Remove the bacon bits and reserve.
- In the same sauce pan add the chopped shallot. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add water and chicken broth, bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium-low, and add the oats, simmer until oats are tender and creamy, 5 minutes.
- Stir in the grated Parmesan.
- Serve oatmeal topped with bacon, poached with poached or fried egg, green onion and fried chili.