Spicy Butternut Squash Curry Soup
Butternut squash is one of our favorite ingredients to cook with. It contains endless possibilities for experiments. You can pretty much cook anything with it from mouthwatering appetizer to fantastic main course and delicate dessert. Just add complementing herbs and spices, and you’ll get an amazing dish. Inspired by this wonderful ingredient, we decided to cook very quick and straightforward but fabulously flavorful Spicy Butternut Squash Curry Soup.
This soup is an ideal dish for a wintertime, especially when the flu season reaches its peak. A pleasant spiciness from ginger and chili would warm you up and help to recover faster if you got sick. We also used coconut cream to add a delightful richness to this Thai style soup, but still keep it healthy and vegan.
TIP: If you can, use Thai basil instead of a regular one. This little addition will make the taste more authentic.
- vegetable oil - 2 tablespoons
- medium onion - 1, diced
- butternut squash - 4 cups, peeled and cubed
- vegetable broth - 1/2 cup
- water - 1 cup
- fresh chili - 1, thinly sliced
- canned corn - 1/3 cup, drained
- coconut cream - 1/2 cup
- red curry paste - 1 1/2 teaspoons, or to taste
- salt - to taste
- salt - to taste
- fresh basil - small bunch
- In a medium saucepan heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add the diced onion and cook over medium heat until soft and transparent, about 4 minutes.
- Add cubed squash and vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet heat the remaining oil. Add the sliced chili and corn.
- Cook over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, or until the veggies are slightly golden. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Working in batches, purée soup in a blender until smooth and creamy.
- Return the soup to the saucepan. Stir in the coconut cream and curry paste. Season to taste with salt.
- Bring to simmer, thinning soup with more broth if necessary. Remove from the heat and serve.
- Serve warm topped with fried veggies and fresh basil.